Friday, July 25, 2008

Final session

The final session was a little like the third with a huddle at the start and finish and Bun and I flitting off to do our respective things. This time I largely left Bun to his own devices as he has a fairly hyperactive MO that is hard to track.

I've been working on a registration hat though I'm beginning to think it's a non-starter. The idea is that students come in-world and as soon as possible touch the hat my avatar is wearing. The hat has a script that asks them to authenticate by choosing a number from a dialog (our students will have been told the code IRL). They are then presented with a Map containing a teleport to our island, given a small amount of L$ and allocated to a Team. The idea is that I can then use any publicly accessible orientation and carry out necessary formalities without the need to rez or attend in person to multiple anonymous students. At the moment it is not working. It is also necessarily hard to debug as I need other avatars for the purpose. As I said before, it may be a non-starter.

At the end I was purposely downbeat. That probably wasn't a great parting shot but I think one has to be brutally realistic about what one is trying to achieve and the likelihood of getting there depending on the approach we adopt. There is still a heck of a lot to do. In some ways it feels a little silly investing so much time in developing such a limited number of sessions (and others have commented on this) but I feel I have to give it a fair chance.

3 comments:

Eloise said...

How much time do you invest in developing new courses anyway?

You can certainly argue that you're not developing new material, but you are developing a new way of teaching it, and you probably spent a lot of hours over the years working out how to teach it the way you currently do - you're just doing it in a more concentrated form now.

I've never said teaching in Second Life is the only way to do it, but I am a firm believer that for quite a lot of topics it can be a better way to teach the subject - students are engaged differently, can do different things, and can take control of their learning. Different isn't always better of course, but it's not always worse either.

As for the hat, you can log in an alt to do it with using the -multiple tag, at least in pre1.20 see http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Pre_1.20_Client_parameters

Peter Miller said...

I think the point that I made in the transcript was that I might be prepared to put the time in but that I am the exception rather than the rule. Of course, we are at a very early stage and hopefully in a few years there will be a mass of content that folk can implement in various ways or just acquire as a packaged install of some kind.

Thanks for reminding me about the alt trick -- my bandwidth at home is v poor at the moment but I can try it work (though my PC is far inferior there!).

I find that if you give avs L$10 per touch, you end up having to beat them off with a stick.

Peter Miller said...

Looks as though llMapDestination doesn't work in an attachment for anyone but the wearer but fortunately you can still give landmarks so some light at the end of this particular (and peculiar) tunnel.